GDOT Safe Routes to School - Kingsley Elementary School
This project will improve the safety for children walking to Kingsley Charter Elementary School. The project includes adding sidewalks, raised crosswalks, ADA ramps and pedestrian lighting.
The sidewalks will be added along Dartford Drive (from Tilly Mill Road to Brendon Drive), along Brendon Drive (from Davantry Drive to North Peachtree Road). The raised crosswalks will be installed across North Peachtree Road (at Davantry Drive and Brendon Drive), on Brendon Drive (at Brendon Court), and on Dartford Drive (at Brendon Drive). The project also includes addition of ADA ramps and pedestrian lighting in front of the school.
The cost of the project is estimated to be $330,000 and will be 100% federally funded through the Safe Routes to School program. The design and construction are managed by the Georgia Department of Transportation.
More about the Safe Routes to School Program
Safe Routes to School (SRTS) is a federally funded program that is designed to encourage more kids to walk and bike to school safely. Program activities and funding is for projects with a 2-mile radius of primary and middle schools (grades K-8).
The program is based on 5 E’s:
• Engineering: Making the environment safer for walking and bicycling
• Encouragement: Encouraging kids to walk and bike
• Education: Teaching kids and parents safe ways to walk and bike
• Evaluation: Checking to see how many kids are walking and biking as a result of the program
• Enforcement: Changing driver, walker and bicyclist behavior as they travel together along the road