Sidewalk Projects and Pedestrian Safety
Dunwoody maintains more than 65 miles of sidewalk. In the 10 years since incorporation, the city has expanded the sidewalk network by 20% with 11 miles of new sidewalks constructed to make Dunwoody a safer, healthier, and more enjoyable community for all.
The city is halfway to its original goal of having sidewalks on both sides of all arterial and collector roads. The Sidewalk Improvement Policy was created to provide an objective process to prioritize the city’s sidewalk projects.
Additionally, in 2014 the city prepared a Pedestrian Safety Action Plan in an effort to help guide and inform improvements at crosswalks throughout the city. Most of the improvements recommended in the action plan have been implemented with additional improvements planned in the next two years.
Pedestrian Projects Currently Funded for Construction
• Roberts Drive at Austin Elementary School
• Tilly Mill Road Crosswalk at Andover Drive
• Tilly Mill Road from Georgia State University to North Peachtree Road
• Mount Vernon Crosswalk at North Peachtree Road
• Winters Chapel Road path at Dunwoody Club Drive
• Georgetown Gateway Streetscape Improvements
• Hammond Drive Pedestrian Signal at the Dunwoody MARTA Station
Current Design Projects
• Peeler Road from Equestrian Way to North Peachtree Road
• Spalding Drive from Chamblee Dunwoody Road to Coronation Drive
• Mount Vernon Road from Mount Vernon Place to Vernon Oaks Way