- City Agendas and Minutes
Boards + Commissions + Committees
- Alcohol License Review Board
- Audit Committee
- Board of Ethics
- Budget Committee
- Construction Board of Adjustments and Appeals
- Convention and Visitors Bureau of Dunwoody
- Development Authority
- Planning Commission
- Sustainability Committee
- Urban Redevelopment Agency
- Volunteer Coordinating Committee
- Zoning Board of Appeals
- Code of Ordinances and City Charter
- Mayor and City Council
- Master Plans
- News Room
- Open Records
- Public + Legal Notices
- Voter Information
Wednesday, October 31, 2018
City of Dunwoody and DeKalb County Reach EMS Service Agreement
Memorandum of Understanding Enhances Countywide Coverage
Dunwoody, GA – October 31, 2018 – The City of Dunwoody has been working with CEO Michael Thurmond to improve countywide emergency ambulance service by entering into a Memorandum of Understanding with DeKalb County.
“My main objective is to get Dunwoody citizens to the hospital on time and to make sure they receive an enhanced level of Emergency Medical Services. I have worked closely with DeKalb County CEO Michael Thurmond to come up with an agreement, and I look forward to presenting it to the City Council,” states Dunwoody Mayor Denis Shortal.
“The lives and safety of our citizens are our number one priority,” said DeKalb County CEO Michael Thurmond. “Mayor Denis Shortal and I have worked cooperatively to ensure the highest level of countywide emergency ambulance service.”
The agreement contains the following key provisions:
• Defined response times: Defined response times for Advance Life Support calls will include a nine-minute or less, 90 percent response time for critical life threating calls and 15 minute or less, 90 percent response time for basic life support calls.
• Dedicated ambulances: Two ambulances are already stationed at Fire Stations 18 and 21 in the City of Dunwoody. A third will be posted at Fire Station 12. These units will be dedicated to the service areas of those fire stations which include Dunwoody and parts of Brookhaven, Chamblee and Doraville. The county will also add one additional ambulance unit during the peak hours of 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Monday-Friday, to meet the needs required by the increased daytime population in the Perimeter Center area. The ambulances serving Dunwoody will be advanced life support units with at least one paramedic onboard.
• Technology upgrades: Ambulances stationed in Dunwoody will be equipped with upgraded technology, including: GPS capabilities, radio-frequency identification gate access and traffic signal preemption devices. The costs for the upgrades will be shared equally between the City of Dunwoody and DeKalb County.
• Greater collaboration: The cities within the DeKalb Municipal Association will have an opportunity to give input and review the county’s 2019 request for proposals for a new ambulance transport contract.
• Monthly reporting: DeKalb County will provide monthly reports to the City of Dunwoody that track ambulance response times.
The agreement will be effective for a one-year term and will automatically renew until a contract with a new ambulance provider containing the material terms of the agreement is signed. The Dunwoody City Council is scheduled to review and vote on the Memorandum of Understanding at the Monday, November 5th, City Council meeting.
For more information regarding the City of Dunwoody, please contact Ashley Butts, Communications Manager, at 678-382-6700 or email@example.com
About the City of Dunwoody, Georgia
Dunwoody is located in metro Atlanta, in northern DeKalb County, Georgia and was officially incorporated as a city on December 1, 2008. The City of Dunwoody provides quality service to its citizens and supports the largest economic engine in the Southeast by planning in a careful and thoughtful manner. The City of Dunwoody is inventive, transparent and embraces responsible progress, tempered by the city’s rich history and strong desire to maintain a close and vibrant community atmosphere that values family life and the entrepreneurial spirit. The City of Dunwoody supports and nurtures a community dedicated to the preservation of family, education, religious institutions, and the environment.
Return to list.