Paving

Since 2009, the city has invested over $12,000,000 in repaving its roads. Approximately 35% of the funding is directed towards high traffic volume roads. The remaining 65% is applied to the lowest rated neighborhood streets based on the citywide Pavement Evaluation.

Pavement Evaluation 
In 2009, and again in 2013, Public Works completed a pavement evaluation and condition assessment of all of the public streets within the city. The assessment consisted of surveys of each roadway segment to measure roughness, rut depth and crack condition. The assessment provides an objective method to prioritize streets for future repaving.

The data collected on roughness, rut depth, and cracks was used to score each roadway segment with a Pavement Condition Index (PCI) ranging from 10 to 100. The average PCI rating for Dunwoody roads is a 66. Individual roadway segment scores range from 33 to 97. 

Compared to the 2009 assessment, the city’s investments in repaving have resulted in significant improvement in the condition of its main thoroughfares with the percentage in good to excellent condition increasing from 45% to 60%. Overall, roughly one-third of city streets are in good to excellent condition, roughly one-third in poor to very poor condition, and roughly one-third are in fair condition.

Current Year Paving Projects

For an expanded look at the paving and infrastructure upgrades planned for 2018, please see the following:

Future Paving Projects

 

Completed and 5 Year Planned Paving Map - Click on Image to Open

Womack Road: Overnight Paving Operations

Overnight Paving Operations Scheduled to Begin Sunday, September 16
 
Construction crews are scheduled to begin paving operations on Womack Road (from Tilly Mill Road to Chamblee Dunwoody Road) beginning Sunday evening, September 16th.  
 
The paving work will occur overnight between the hours of 8:00 PM and 6:00 AM Sunday thru Thursday, weather permitting.  The overnight paving work and continuous operations allow for expedited project delivery.  The expected total duration of the paving project is anticipated to last seven to 10 nights, weather permitting.
 
During this same timeframe, crews also will be patching a section of roadway on Vermack Road in the area between Parliament Drive and Parliament Way.
Travel delays and lane closures can be expected during the work period and crews will be on hand to ensure safe passage through the construction area.  Motorists are encouraged to plan ahead and select alternate travel routes to avoid these areas during the active overnight paving operations.