Skip Navigation LinksDepartments | Parks and Recreation | Special Event Permitting



Skip Navigation LinksSpecial Event Permitting

Dunwoody is pleased to welcome a variety of special events, from community festivals to athletic competitions. Our goal is to work with event sponsors and producers to help ensure that events that take place in our city are safe and successful, while minimizing the impact on the surrounding community. We hope that you will find these instructions helpful in planning and preparing to execute your special event.

Please download the Special Event Permit Application. If your event will have signs in the right-of-way, please fill out the Special Event Sign Permit Application and submit it with your application.

Frequently Asked Questions

Review Process – How far in advance do I need to apply?

The adopted Special Event Ordinance requires that all applications for Special Events be submitted 60 days prior to the planned event to allow for review and processing. 

Overall - Who can help me navigate the process?

Jennifer Downer: (678) 382-6704 or 

Jennifer handles the intake of all Special Event Permit applications and coordinates between the different internal departments that review all applications.

Facility Rental – How do I rent a pavilion or park?

Dana Gravedoni: (678) 382-6851 or 

Dana handles the intake and scheduling of all facility rental applications and can help you navigate which pavilions, lawns, and parts of parks might be available for your event.

Temporary Signs – Who handles the sign permit for special events?

Christie Berkowitz: (678) 382-6810 or

Christie handles the intake and processing of all special event signage requests and can help you once you know what signs you want and where. Christie can also explain how you can get 100% of your sign permit deposit back.

Tents and Temporary Structures – Who can help me with my tent?

Drew Cutright: (678) 382-6815 or

Cindi Hammock: (678) 382-6814 or

Drew and Cindi handle the intake and processing of building permit applications including for tents and temporary structures. They can help you navigate the Building Construction Permit application for the City and then give you a routing number for your visit down to DeKalb County for fire marshal services and site plan review. DeKalb County’s Fire Marshal office completes site plan reviews for tents or temporary structures over 400 square feet (with sides), over 700 square feet (without sides), or multiple smaller structures totaling over 700 square feet. The addition of a temporary structure or tent can impact the way fire trucks can respond to emergency situations at your event so DeKalb needs to review it to keep your event safe. As of spring 2014, the review process with DeKalb was averaging 8 weeks. Although this process can be done concurrently with the city’s reviews, please submit your plans in a timely fashion.  Download DeKalb's Plan Submittal Review Requirements for more information.

Alcohol – How do permit for the sale or serving of alcohol at my event?

James Hicks: (678) 382-6760 or 

James handles the intake and processing of all special event alcohol permits. He can help you check if your vendor already has current licenses or if you need a Special Event Alcohol Permit for the temporary sale or serving of alcohol. 

Food preparation – What do I need to do if my event includes food preparation or sale?

Please comply with the DeKalb County Board of Health regulations available at the link listed on page three of the application. You may find it helpful to know that pursuant to section 290-5-14-.08, temporary food service which lasts less than 120 hours is exempt from many of the permitting and inspection requirements.