- Completed & signed Construction Permit Application
- Two hard copies of drawings AND an electronic copy. All copies must be stamped by a Design Professional--at least one copy must be wet stamped.
- Site plan for all new structures and additions to existing structures
- One set of drawings in PDF format on a CD
- General contractor's license, business license and government issued photo ID of contractor
- If you are submitting licenses on behalf of another individual, you will also need a completed Authorized Permit Agent Form.
To begin the process, we will use your completed construction permit application and your license copies to generate a routing number for your project, and you will be issued a route sheet for Water & Sewer review. You will then take your plans to the DeKalb County Water & Sewer offices for review of your project.
When your project has been approved by Water & Sewer, you will bring approved plans (at least 2 sets and one electronic) to our office for building and fire safety review. This is a 10 business day (2 week) process, beginning at the date of acceptance of plans approved by Water & Sewer.
Once your plans are approved by our office, you may come in at any time to pay the permit fee in the form of Check, Cash, Visa or MasterCard (Click here to estimate your fees). At this time you will also be responsible for the payment of fire review fees. For this purpose we have adopted DeKalb County's fire review fee schedule (website will be updated shortly with complete list of fees).
When we have approved your plans and you have paid all fees, we will issue your permit to you.
ALL subcontractors are required to permit through the City of Dunwoody. This includes, but is not limited to the following trades:
- Mechanical / HVAC
- Low-Voltage Electrical
- Fire Alarm Systems
- Fire Sprinkler Systems
Sub-Contractors may submit their affidavits once the building permit has been issued. Sub-Contractor permits may be processed in person or through the mail with an accompanying check. We cannot currently accept credit card information over the phone or credit card authorization forms; please submit payment in person or a check if mailing in information. All forms must include the following documentation:
- Completed Sub-Contractor Form
- Copies of all State Trade Licenses where applicable
- Government issued photo ID of individual holding the trade license
- Copy of business license issued by any City or County in the State of Georgia
- Fee payment in the form of Cash, Check, MasterCard or Visa. (Mail-in applications MUST be paid in Check form) (Please check with our office for your exact fee amount, Click here to estimate your fees)
- If a change of service is requested, please fill out and submit the Power Release Form in addition to the sub-contractor form.
Fire alarm and fire sprinkler plans will require fire safety review. All other subcontractor permits are issued over-the-counter.