Skip Navigation LinksBonds and Agreements

Bonds & Agreements-FAQ

When are bonds required?

Most land development projects (i.e. land disturbance permits, sketch plats, or final plats) will require 1 or more bonds or agreements before a permit can be issued. For example, a commercial land disturbance permit or residential subdivision land disturbance permit will always require an erosion control bond.

What bonds are required for my project?

Bonds required vary by project; this will be discussed in your conceptual review (process required before all land disturbance projects). The following bonds/agreements/documents may be required:

Owner Affidavit

Erosion Control Bond

Environmental Permits Affidavit

Easement Agreement

County Tax Commissioner Ad valorem tax statement

CAD File

Final Plat Mapping Form

BMP Maintenance Agreement

BMP Maintenance Bond

Landscape Maintenance Agreement

Landscape Maintenance Bond

Performance Agreement

Performance Bond

Maintenance/Performance Bond

Street Maintenance Agreement

Dunwoody Stormwater BMP Maintenance Agreement

Development Performance and Maintenance Agreement

Surety Agreement

How do I acquire bond forms?

The City of Dunwoody has templates for required bonds that can be picked in our office (41 Perimeter Center E, Ste 250), or you may call 678-382-6800 and request a particular form be e-mailed. Forms are also available on this page by clicking on the form title under the previous question. Any change in language used on the forms must be pre-approved by the City attorney before you submit the bond.

What form of payment/credit can I use to submit bonds?

• Letter of credit or escrow-must come from a certified financial institution, be on the institution’s letterhead, be notarized and have a contact name and direct phone number for the representative at the institution

• Surety bond

• Check-made out to “City of Dunwoody”

How much do bonds cost?

Cost varies by permit.

Erosion control bonds are always in the amount of $3,000/acre. Most other bonds are valued at a percentage of the estimated cost of construction.

Whose responsibility is it to make sure bonds are submitted?

Submitting bonds is the responsibility of the developer.

The City will assist with the process, but, ultimately, responsibility of knowing which bonds will be required, what amounts, and when they are required for each specific project is the developer’s responsibility.

When and how are bonds released?

Letters of escrow and credit-At the end of the bond period (typically 18 months but sometimes shorter/longer), the City will complete an inspection. If all conditions of the bond are met, the City will write a letter to the financial institution holding the funds stating that they can be released.

Check bond- At the end of the bond period (typically 18 months but sometimes shorter/longer), the City will complete an inspection. If all conditions of the bond are met, the City will issue a reimbursement to the developer.

It is always advisable to check in with the City’s environmental inspector when your bond period is coming to a close to make sure that there are no concerns that might delay releasing the bond.