This project will improve the safety for children walking to Kingsley Charter Elementary School. The following improvements will be constructed in the community:
- Sidewalks along Dartford Drive from Tilly Mill Road to Brendon Drive.
- Sidewalks along Brendon Drive from Davantry Drive to N. Peachtree Road.
- Raised crosswalks will be installed Across
- N. Peachtree Road at Davantry Drive
- N. Peachtree Road at Brendon Drive
- Brendon Drive at Brendon Court
- Dartford Drive at Brendon Drive
- Enhancement of existing crosswalks
- Addition of ADA Ramps
- Pedestrian lighting in front of the school
The cost of the project is estimated to be $330,000 and will be 100% federally funded through the Safe Routes to School program. The design and construction are managed by the Georgia Department of Transportation.
Construction of this project is ongoing. Questions and concerns may be sent to Mindy Sanders at email@example.com.
(Updated March 10, 2014)
More about the Safe Routes to School Program...
Safe Routes to School (SRTS) is a federally funded program that is designed to encourage more kids to walk and bike to school safely. Program activities and funding is for projects with a 2-mile radius of primary and middle schools (grades K-8).
The program is based on 5 E’s:
- Engineering: Making the environment safer for walking and bicycling
- Encouragement: Encouraging kids to walk and bike
- Education: Teaching kids and parents safe ways to walk and bike
- Evaluation: Checking to see how many kids are walking and biking as a result of the program
- Enforcement: Changing driver, walker and bicyclist behavior as they travel together along the road